Home » Opinion » Editorials
Marco Rubio's baptism: Liberals don't know what to do
Liberals pounced, saying that this was the young Florida senator's "Watergate'' and it had pretty much washed him out of consideration for President, as serious spokesman for the GOP, or dog catcher. Seriously?
National Sandinista Radio (also known as NPR), was a bit more subtle, but not much. Eschewing the waterboarding technique, its alleged "news'' item told supposedly shocked listeners that Rubio "sounded like Mitt Romney.''
No doubt Rubio's defense of private enterprise and the like made him sound like Romney to the NPR reporter, but wouldn't it have been nice if Rubio were simply quoted so a listener could decide for himself how he "sounded?''
In fact, Rubio's official Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address was an informative, impassioned defense of conservative political philosophy about life and free enterprise, mixed with a rich, admirable personal story.
He not only warned of big government, he explained what private enterprise can do to help the human condition.
Rubio was, in point of fact, perfectly reasonable and likeable.
These are qualities that liberals fear most from conservatives. What to do? Why, reach for Rubio reaching for a water bottle (Poland Springs, by the way). Talk about grasping at straws.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Conway Voters Approve Budgets, Defeat Caps - 0
- Newport deliberative session deals with town salary, benefit increases - 0
- Peterborough deliberative session tonight talks money - 0
- Conway votes Tuesday on tax cap - 0
- Hooksett voters support town engineer, police contract - 0
- Budget, town engineer likely hot topics in Hooksett - 0
- Merrimack school budget committee's fate in voters' hands - 0
- Bow selectmen seek options after voters reject proposals to repair police, fire stations - 0
- Hollis voters reject school proposal - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing