Home » Opinion » Editorials
Marco Rubio's baptism: Liberals don't know what to do
Liberals pounced, saying that this was the young Florida senator's "Watergate'' and it had pretty much washed him out of consideration for President, as serious spokesman for the GOP, or dog catcher. Seriously?
National Sandinista Radio (also known as NPR), was a bit more subtle, but not much. Eschewing the waterboarding technique, its alleged "news'' item told supposedly shocked listeners that Rubio "sounded like Mitt Romney.''
No doubt Rubio's defense of private enterprise and the like made him sound like Romney to the NPR reporter, but wouldn't it have been nice if Rubio were simply quoted so a listener could decide for himself how he "sounded?''
In fact, Rubio's official Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address was an informative, impassioned defense of conservative political philosophy about life and free enterprise, mixed with a rich, admirable personal story.
He not only warned of big government, he explained what private enterprise can do to help the human condition.
Rubio was, in point of fact, perfectly reasonable and likeable.
These are qualities that liberals fear most from conservatives. What to do? Why, reach for Rubio reaching for a water bottle (Poland Springs, by the way). Talk about grasping at straws.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Peterborough's renovated Adams Pool to open in June - 0
- Supreme Court says Manchester man who lost towed car while hospitalized can sue - 4
- Powerball jackpot: Another chance at the (your) golden ticket - 1
- Endowment established for Milford support organization Bridges - 0
- Flags to fly at half-staff Wednesday and Friday - 0
- NH Lottery games debut Mother's Day - 0
- Marathon bomber's body entombed in undisclosed location - 1
- Powerball jackpot grows to $270 million for Saturday - 0
- NH Preservation Alliance honors 10 for protecting historic treasures - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Stonyfield founder tells FPU grads to ask, 'Why not?' - 0
- Tiny Thomas More College class urged to be courageous - 0
- NH Military People: NH woman graduates from Air Force training - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Oxbow captures Preakness Stakes - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid
Nashua school parking surprise