Home » Opinion » Editorials
Marco Rubio's baptism: Liberals don't know what to do
Liberals pounced, saying that this was the young Florida senator's "Watergate'' and it had pretty much washed him out of consideration for President, as serious spokesman for the GOP, or dog catcher. Seriously?
National Sandinista Radio (also known as NPR), was a bit more subtle, but not much. Eschewing the waterboarding technique, its alleged "news'' item told supposedly shocked listeners that Rubio "sounded like Mitt Romney.''
No doubt Rubio's defense of private enterprise and the like made him sound like Romney to the NPR reporter, but wouldn't it have been nice if Rubio were simply quoted so a listener could decide for himself how he "sounded?''
In fact, Rubio's official Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address was an informative, impassioned defense of conservative political philosophy about life and free enterprise, mixed with a rich, admirable personal story.
He not only warned of big government, he explained what private enterprise can do to help the human condition.
Rubio was, in point of fact, perfectly reasonable and likeable.
These are qualities that liberals fear most from conservatives. What to do? Why, reach for Rubio reaching for a water bottle (Poland Springs, by the way). Talk about grasping at straws.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you