Home » Opinion » Editorials
Marco Rubio's baptism: Liberals don't know what to do
Liberals pounced, saying that this was the young Florida senator's "Watergate'' and it had pretty much washed him out of consideration for President, as serious spokesman for the GOP, or dog catcher. Seriously?
National Sandinista Radio (also known as NPR), was a bit more subtle, but not much. Eschewing the waterboarding technique, its alleged "news'' item told supposedly shocked listeners that Rubio "sounded like Mitt Romney.''
No doubt Rubio's defense of private enterprise and the like made him sound like Romney to the NPR reporter, but wouldn't it have been nice if Rubio were simply quoted so a listener could decide for himself how he "sounded?''
In fact, Rubio's official Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address was an informative, impassioned defense of conservative political philosophy about life and free enterprise, mixed with a rich, admirable personal story.
He not only warned of big government, he explained what private enterprise can do to help the human condition.
Rubio was, in point of fact, perfectly reasonable and likeable.
These are qualities that liberals fear most from conservatives. What to do? Why, reach for Rubio reaching for a water bottle (Poland Springs, by the way). Talk about grasping at straws.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- City papers: A flawed right-to-know policy - 3
- Revenue raiser: An economic recovery, not a casino, is what's needed - 6
- Secret arrests? Not if we can help it - 6
- Process and law: Foster's questionable circumvention - 3
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 1
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 24
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 1
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 11
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett police charge local man in several BB gun complaints - 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’
No charges in Nashua 'Duck-gate'
Rep. Kuster talks women's economic issues
George Will: Our adolescent President