Dartmouth rallies for big Saturday night hockey win
The Big Green, down 4-3 in the third period against the ECAC's 11th-place team, Colgate, rallied for two goals in the final 8:26 to prevail, 5-4, before 3,924 fans at Thompson Arena on Saturday night.
The win enabled Dartmouth to break a four-game winless streak. A loss would have meant a pointless home weekend for the Big Green, who succumbed to another second-division squad, Cornell, on Friday night.
Sophomore Jesse Beamish scored twice for Dartmouth, including the tying goal off a rebound at the 11:34 mark of the third period. Fellow soph Eric Neiley potted the winner with 5:19 remaining, tapping one home from the doorstep after some nice passing during a power play.
Freshman goalie Charles Grant made 29 saves for Dartmouth, including some beauties with the Big Green trailing in the third.
Dustin Walsh also scored for 17th-ranked Dartmouth, 8-7-3 in the ECAC and 12-9-4 overall. Colgate dropped to 5-10-3 in the conference, 13-13-4 overall.
The Big Green are tied for fifth with Yale with 19 points. They are one point behind third-place St. Lawrence and Union, and two points behind RPI.
Dartmouth hits the road this coming weekend for games at Clarkson and St. Lawrence.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox win rain-delayed twinbill opener - 0
- Dad-to-be Gonzalez, Orioles top Red Sox - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: The journey begins for NH minor leaguers - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: AL East is still a beast - 0
- Lackey hurls Red Sox to win over O's - 0
- Buchholz may be headed for disabled list - 0
- Conway's Locke wins sixth as Bucs top Dodgers - 0
- Orioles efficient in win over Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Prospect Nolin gets taste of major leagues, vows to return - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 2
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 2
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 4
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840