Dartmouth rallies for big Saturday night hockey win
The Big Green, down 4-3 in the third period against the ECAC's 11th-place team, Colgate, rallied for two goals in the final 8:26 to prevail, 5-4, before 3,924 fans at Thompson Arena on Saturday night.
The win enabled Dartmouth to break a four-game winless streak. A loss would have meant a pointless home weekend for the Big Green, who succumbed to another second-division squad, Cornell, on Friday night.
Sophomore Jesse Beamish scored twice for Dartmouth, including the tying goal off a rebound at the 11:34 mark of the third period. Fellow soph Eric Neiley potted the winner with 5:19 remaining, tapping one home from the doorstep after some nice passing during a power play.
Freshman goalie Charles Grant made 29 saves for Dartmouth, including some beauties with the Big Green trailing in the third.
Dustin Walsh also scored for 17th-ranked Dartmouth, 8-7-3 in the ECAC and 12-9-4 overall. Colgate dropped to 5-10-3 in the conference, 13-13-4 overall.
The Big Green are tied for fifth with Yale with 19 points. They are one point behind third-place St. Lawrence and Union, and two points behind RPI.
Dartmouth hits the road this coming weekend for games at Clarkson and St. Lawrence.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840