Dartmouth rallies for big Saturday night hockey win
The Big Green, down 4-3 in the third period against the ECAC's 11th-place team, Colgate, rallied for two goals in the final 8:26 to prevail, 5-4, before 3,924 fans at Thompson Arena on Saturday night.
The win enabled Dartmouth to break a four-game winless streak. A loss would have meant a pointless home weekend for the Big Green, who succumbed to another second-division squad, Cornell, on Friday night.
Sophomore Jesse Beamish scored twice for Dartmouth, including the tying goal off a rebound at the 11:34 mark of the third period. Fellow soph Eric Neiley potted the winner with 5:19 remaining, tapping one home from the doorstep after some nice passing during a power play.
Freshman goalie Charles Grant made 29 saves for Dartmouth, including some beauties with the Big Green trailing in the third.
Dustin Walsh also scored for 17th-ranked Dartmouth, 8-7-3 in the ECAC and 12-9-4 overall. Colgate dropped to 5-10-3 in the conference, 13-13-4 overall.
The Big Green are tied for fifth with Yale with 19 points. They are one point behind third-place St. Lawrence and Union, and two points behind RPI.
Dartmouth hits the road this coming weekend for games at Clarkson and St. Lawrence.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
- High school action - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840