Dartmouth rallies for big Saturday night hockey win
The Big Green, down 4-3 in the third period against the ECAC's 11th-place team, Colgate, rallied for two goals in the final 8:26 to prevail, 5-4, before 3,924 fans at Thompson Arena on Saturday night.
The win enabled Dartmouth to break a four-game winless streak. A loss would have meant a pointless home weekend for the Big Green, who succumbed to another second-division squad, Cornell, on Friday night.
Sophomore Jesse Beamish scored twice for Dartmouth, including the tying goal off a rebound at the 11:34 mark of the third period. Fellow soph Eric Neiley potted the winner with 5:19 remaining, tapping one home from the doorstep after some nice passing during a power play.
Freshman goalie Charles Grant made 29 saves for Dartmouth, including some beauties with the Big Green trailing in the third.
Dustin Walsh also scored for 17th-ranked Dartmouth, 8-7-3 in the ECAC and 12-9-4 overall. Colgate dropped to 5-10-3 in the conference, 13-13-4 overall.
The Big Green are tied for fifth with Yale with 19 points. They are one point behind third-place St. Lawrence and Union, and two points behind RPI.
Dartmouth hits the road this coming weekend for games at Clarkson and St. Lawrence.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 12
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 34
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 5
- Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Last-minute lobbying frantic as House prepares for casino vote - 1
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 4
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- For now, no more breakfasts in Manchester's Veterans Park - 11
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840