Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Chester man faces additional child sex abuse charges
Gary Britton, 61, of Chester was indicted on 15 counts of possession of child sexual abuse images in Rockingham County Superior Court. (COURTESY)
Gary Britton was indicted on 15 counts of possession of child sexual abuse images, which could keep him in state prison for the rest of his life if he is convicted.
Consecutive sentences could bring a minimum term of 115 years if Britton is convicted, according to indictments.
Prosecutors say Britton, 61, had a variety of images and videos on his home computer showing children engaging in sexual acts.
The images were discovered by his landlords in September 2011, prompting Chester police to seize the computer and have it forensically examined.
New charges against Britton came to light more than a week ago when public defenders petitioned a judge for state-approved funds so a forensic exam could be performed on Britton's computer.
The defense wants Britton's computer examined so it can determine for itself when "questionable pornographic images" were placed on a computer's desktop screen.
The indictments were made public Thursday.
Allegations about Britton having child pornography on his computer appeared in court documents and testimony for months.
Public defenders acknowledged in court papers that they would explore a plea deal for Britton, but it's unclear whether the latest indictments could upend that effort.
Britton is serving a 12-month jail sentence after pleading guilty for failing to register as a sex offender.
A grand jury indicted him in August on two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault and two counts of felonious sexual assault.
Chester police initially arrested Britton for failure to re-register as a sex offender. Britton was evicted from his apartment on the same day - for unpaid rent - which set off a wider police investigation.
His landlords began going through Britton's belongings and turned on his computer, police said. They discovered the pornography on the computer and called police.
An examination of the computer provided information to police that Britton began sexually assaulting a girl in 1991, according to prosecutors. The girl was 9 years old when the series of assaults began, and continued until 1995, indictments say.
Each of the sexual assault charges are punishable by up to 20 to 40 years in state prison. He faces a felon in possession of a weapon charge for possessing a handgun that Police Chief William Burke found while police were executing a search warrant of the apartment.
Britton was barred from owning a gun for being convicted in 1983 of aggravated felonious sexual assault.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
- Elderly Dover woman victim of paving scam, police say - 1
- Man charged with sex assault, sticking woman with hypodermic needle - 0
- KSC student facing charges related to riot - 13
- Police say man kept grabbing woman by throat - 0
- Cornish truck driver indicted on manslaughter charge for Merrimack crash - 0
- Lyndeborough's new Christmas tree destroyed - 3
- Man who escaped Kingston police station captured in Mass. - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Guard members buoyed by deployment ceremony - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Rondo paces balanced Celtics attack in season-opening win - 0
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Officials debate use of force in Manchester schools - 0
- Manchester middle school principal accused of chokehold cleared, back to work - 0
- Wind farm opposition does not deter Executive Council OK of Berlin project - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Field Hockey: Winnacunnet, Pinkerton march to final - 0
Nashua police chief to retire
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483