Sunday storm was light on snow but wind caused problems
A winter storm brought moderate snow and strong winds to New Hampshire on Sunday. Forecasters had predicted a possible foot of snow in areas of New Hampshire, but the storm moved out of the region after dropping less than half that amount in most locations.
Snow accumulation totals ranged from about 6 inches on the Seacoast to just over an inch in Nashua.
High winds, with gusts in excess of 45 mph, whipped through much of the state as the storm pulled away, knocking down trees and power lines. At 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Public Service of New Hampshire reported 6,855 customer outages, with 2,609 in Hampstead and 1,208 in Durham. Goffstown had 859 outages, while Bedford checked in with 708. Just 12 PSNH customers in Manchester were effected as of 7:30 p.m.
Unitil reported over 2,000 customers without power Sunday afternoon, but that number dropped to 371 as of 7:35 p.m.
A large tree fell onto Mammoth Road between Kendall Pond Road and Valley Street around 3:15 p.m., knocking out power to residents in the neighborhood and forcing the closure of the busy roadway. It was reopened around 6:30 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Manchester extends snow emergency; pedestrian injured when hit by plow - 1
- Seacoast digs out from more than a foot of snow - 0
- Snowfall totals in NH vary from 7 inches to more than a foot. - 0
- Manchester police say no major snow-related problems - 2
- Winter storm brings a foot of snow to most of NH - 0
- Slow down NH, and smell the snowplows - 4
- Keep it simple and be prepared for winter storm driving in NH - 0
- Storm packing heavy snow bears down on U.S. Midwest, Northeast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'