Sunday storm was light on snow but wind caused problems
A winter storm brought moderate snow and strong winds to New Hampshire on Sunday. Forecasters had predicted a possible foot of snow in areas of New Hampshire, but the storm moved out of the region after dropping less than half that amount in most locations.
Snow accumulation totals ranged from about 6 inches on the Seacoast to just over an inch in Nashua.
High winds, with gusts in excess of 45 mph, whipped through much of the state as the storm pulled away, knocking down trees and power lines. At 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Public Service of New Hampshire reported 6,855 customer outages, with 2,609 in Hampstead and 1,208 in Durham. Goffstown had 859 outages, while Bedford checked in with 708. Just 12 PSNH customers in Manchester were effected as of 7:30 p.m.
Unitil reported over 2,000 customers without power Sunday afternoon, but that number dropped to 371 as of 7:35 p.m.
A large tree fell onto Mammoth Road between Kendall Pond Road and Valley Street around 3:15 p.m., knocking out power to residents in the neighborhood and forcing the closure of the busy roadway. It was reopened around 6:30 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ice-out expected on Winnipesaukee Wednesday - 0
- Ice-out on WInnipesaukee expected by late next week - 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett police charge local man in several BB gun complaints - 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’