Bob Pike, new Salem High football coach, says he's 'ready to go'
Salem athletic director Dave Rozumek said the hire became official Tuesday night.
"I'm very confident it was a good hire," Rozumek said. "I've been around him, and I know he'll do a good job."
Pike, 32, replaces Adam Gagne, who resigned after one year as Salem's head coach to become the head coach at Westford (Mass.) Academy. Salem was 0-11 under Gagne and was outscored 387-147.
"For a couple of years now, I feel I've been ready to be a head coach," Pike said. "As soon as Adam left, I spoke to Dave (Rozumek) about putting my name in for the job. I'm super excited."
Pike lives in Haverhill, Mass., and teaches history at Haverhill High School. He played running back and linebacker at Haverhill High and was then part of the St. Anselm College football program's first freshman class.
Pike was Salem's offensive line coach last season.
"I'm from Massachusetts, but I love New Hampshire football," Pike said. "We had our first meeting this week. It's nice that I already know the kids and they already know me. That's an advantage.
"They're ready to go, and I'm ready to go."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
- College Football: UNH overwhelms Lafayette in FCS first round - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released