Bob Pike, new Salem High football coach, says he's 'ready to go'
Salem athletic director Dave Rozumek said the hire became official Tuesday night.
"I'm very confident it was a good hire," Rozumek said. "I've been around him, and I know he'll do a good job."
Pike, 32, replaces Adam Gagne, who resigned after one year as Salem's head coach to become the head coach at Westford (Mass.) Academy. Salem was 0-11 under Gagne and was outscored 387-147.
"For a couple of years now, I feel I've been ready to be a head coach," Pike said. "As soon as Adam left, I spoke to Dave (Rozumek) about putting my name in for the job. I'm super excited."
Pike lives in Haverhill, Mass., and teaches history at Haverhill High School. He played running back and linebacker at Haverhill High and was then part of the St. Anselm College football program's first freshman class.
Pike was Salem's offensive line coach last season.
"I'm from Massachusetts, but I love New Hampshire football," Pike said. "We had our first meeting this week. It's nice that I already know the kids and they already know me. That's an advantage.
"They're ready to go, and I'm ready to go."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $22.3m approved for MTBE assessment plan - 1
- 11th-hour deal in Seabrook Station labor battle - 1
- Seabrook Station labor lockout would draw NRC presence - 5
- No agreement reached in Seabrook Station labor talks - 0
- Seabrook plant close to lockout in union dispute - 53
- Wind-power foes object to forum sites - 10
- Decision on merits of PSNH scrubber goes back to PUC - 1
- Grafton residents glad to be dropped from wind project - 1
- Planned PSNH station closing has Hillsborough concerned - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 2
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 3
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans