Bob Pike, new Salem High football coach, says he's 'ready to go'
Salem athletic director Dave Rozumek said the hire became official Tuesday night.
"I'm very confident it was a good hire," Rozumek said. "I've been around him, and I know he'll do a good job."
Pike, 32, replaces Adam Gagne, who resigned after one year as Salem's head coach to become the head coach at Westford (Mass.) Academy. Salem was 0-11 under Gagne and was outscored 387-147.
"For a couple of years now, I feel I've been ready to be a head coach," Pike said. "As soon as Adam left, I spoke to Dave (Rozumek) about putting my name in for the job. I'm super excited."
Pike lives in Haverhill, Mass., and teaches history at Haverhill High School. He played running back and linebacker at Haverhill High and was then part of the St. Anselm College football program's first freshman class.
Pike was Salem's offensive line coach last season.
"I'm from Massachusetts, but I love New Hampshire football," Pike said. "We had our first meeting this week. It's nice that I already know the kids and they already know me. That's an advantage.
"They're ready to go, and I'm ready to go."
READER COMMENTS: 13
- Charles Arlinghaus: Don't believe hype on Medicaid expansion - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Common sense vs. the military's pursuit of political correctness - 0
- Diana Lacey: $50 million in personnel cuts would hurt NH - 26
- Jonah Goldberg: Freedom: the unfolding revolution - 4
- Deroy Murdock: Corruption aside, the IRS has too much Obamacare authority - 8
- Thomas Sowell: There's lots of bad economic thinking in the immigration debate - 0
- Roger Simon: The slacker who came in from the cold - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: Pushing the envelope, NSA-style - 4
- George Will: Slipping the Constitution's leash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time