Home » News » Public Safety
Teen injured in Webster fire pit blast released from hospital
Haley MacPhail was released from Brigham and Women's Hospital late Monday, said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.
Schultz did not release MacPhail's home town. She was with Daniel Hewey, 20, of Concord, who died of fire and fume inhalation shortly after he poured gasoline on a brush fire at 10:20 p.m., Schultz said.
"She suffered burns to her face, but she is expected to recover," Shultz said.
The couple and two friends were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fire pit, made from a cut open oil tank, when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said.
"He was trying to reignite the flames in a makeshift fire pit, and it exploded on him," Schultz said. "He was on fire at first, and he suffered burns to more than 50 percent of his body."
MacPhail and Hewey were taken by ambulances to Concord Hospital, but Hewey died soon after.
Schultz said Hewey likely died from inhaling toxic vapors from the gasoline. "The human response is to breathe in, and in his case he immediately breathed in superheated air with the vapors into his trachea and lungs."
The cause of Hewey's death has been ruled accident, Schultz said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'