action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67

Home » News » Public Safety

February 19. 2013 7:17PM

Teen injured in Webster fire pit blast released from hospital

WEBSTER - The 17-year-old woman who was seriously burned in a fatal explosion Saturday night has been released from a Boston hospital.

Haley MacPhail was released from Brigham and Women's Hospital late Monday, said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.

Schultz did not release MacPhail's home town. She was with Daniel Hewey, 20, of Concord, who died of fire and fume inhalation shortly after he poured gasoline on a brush fire at 10:20 p.m., Schultz said.

"She suffered burns to her face, but she is expected to recover," Shultz said.

The couple and two friends were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fire pit, made from a cut open oil tank, when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said.

"He was trying to reignite the flames in a makeshift fire pit, and it exploded on him," Schultz said. "He was on fire at first, and he suffered burns to more than 50 percent of his body."

MacPhail and Hewey were taken by ambulances to Concord Hospital, but Hewey died soon after.

Schultz said Hewey likely died from inhaling toxic vapors from the gasoline. "The human response is to breathe in, and in his case he immediately breathed in superheated air with the vapors into his trachea and lungs."

The cause of Hewey's death has been ruled accident, Schultz said.

dseufert@newstote.com


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events