Home » News » Public Safety
Teen injured in Webster fire pit blast released from hospital
Haley MacPhail was released from Brigham and Women's Hospital late Monday, said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.
Schultz did not release MacPhail's home town. She was with Daniel Hewey, 20, of Concord, who died of fire and fume inhalation shortly after he poured gasoline on a brush fire at 10:20 p.m., Schultz said.
"She suffered burns to her face, but she is expected to recover," Shultz said.
The couple and two friends were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fire pit, made from a cut open oil tank, when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said.
"He was trying to reignite the flames in a makeshift fire pit, and it exploded on him," Schultz said. "He was on fire at first, and he suffered burns to more than 50 percent of his body."
MacPhail and Hewey were taken by ambulances to Concord Hospital, but Hewey died soon after.
Schultz said Hewey likely died from inhaling toxic vapors from the gasoline. "The human response is to breathe in, and in his case he immediately breathed in superheated air with the vapors into his trachea and lungs."
The cause of Hewey's death has been ruled accident, Schultz said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 4
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 0
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief