Home » News » Public Safety
Teen injured in Webster fire pit blast released from hospital
Haley MacPhail was released from Brigham and Women's Hospital late Monday, said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.
Schultz did not release MacPhail's home town. She was with Daniel Hewey, 20, of Concord, who died of fire and fume inhalation shortly after he poured gasoline on a brush fire at 10:20 p.m., Schultz said.
"She suffered burns to her face, but she is expected to recover," Shultz said.
The couple and two friends were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fire pit, made from a cut open oil tank, when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said.
"He was trying to reignite the flames in a makeshift fire pit, and it exploded on him," Schultz said. "He was on fire at first, and he suffered burns to more than 50 percent of his body."
MacPhail and Hewey were taken by ambulances to Concord Hospital, but Hewey died soon after.
Schultz said Hewey likely died from inhaling toxic vapors from the gasoline. "The human response is to breathe in, and in his case he immediately breathed in superheated air with the vapors into his trachea and lungs."
The cause of Hewey's death has been ruled accident, Schultz said.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House upholds three Gov. Hassan vetoes, ends 2014 session - 0
- Police say woman, daughters robbed of their purses in Manchester motel parking lot - 0
- UNH math professor wins 2014 MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 4
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof