Sox acquire 1B/OF Carp from Mariners
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Red Sox today acquired left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp from the Mariners in exchange for a player to be named or cash considerations, Boston announced in a release.
The move gives the Sox a much-needed lefty bat to complement two other new acquisitions, first baseman Mike Napoli and left fielder Jonny Gomes, both of whom bat right-handed.
To make room for Carp on the 40-man roster, Boston placed outfielder Ryan Kalish (right shoulder surgery) on the 60-day disabled list.
Carp, 26, batted .213 with six doubles, five home runs, and 20 RBI in 59 games for the Mariners last season, during which he spent three stints on the disabled list.
In 2011, Carp was among the American League's top rookies in batting average (third, .276), slugging percentage (second, .466), and OPS (second, .791). He appeared in 79 games that season, hitting 12 homers and driving in 46 runs.
A ninth-round selection of the New York Mets in the 2004 June Draft, Carp has hit .255 with 28 doubles, 18 home runs, and 71 RBI in 173 major-league games, all with the Mariners from 2009-12.
He owns a career .300 batting average (39-for-130) against left-handed pitchers. Defensively, he has posted a .997 fielding percentage in 82 career games (77 starts) at first base. His major-league outfield experience includes 52 games (48 starts) in left field and one game in right.
Kalish, 24, underwent what the Red Sox described as a successful right shoulder arthroscopy and posterior labrum repair in late January. In 36 games with Boston last season, he hit .229 with three doubles and five RBI.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- George Will: Executive discretion to the extreme - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Being better than New Jersey isn't good enough - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: GOP outrage machine might have finally gone too far - 46
- Jonah Goldberg: Triumph of the vulgarians - 1
- Maureen Mann: Labeling genetically-modified foods would help New Hampshire consumers - 16
- David Harsanyi: Ninety-six percent of Americans are wrong about Congress - 3
- Patrick J. Buchanan: Will we go to war over Japanese islands? - 0
- Sean Kenneally: A once pure NH view is no more - 13
- Jonah Goldberg: Obamacare was sold on a few core lies - 8
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
Hooksett confident contract to send students to Pinkerton doesn't violate Manchester settlement
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840