Controversial elementary math program divides NH schools
During Tuesday night's school board meeting, Golden Brook School Principal Christi Michaud and Center School Principal Kori Becht shared a progress report of enVision Math, which replaced the controversial Everyday Math program at the start of the current school year.
Some Manchester schools use Everyday Math, and last October a group of parents in the state's largest school system approached district officials and said the curriculum was leaving middle school students ill-prepared for traditional math courses.
The curriculum, used in city schools through grade five, seeks to teach math concepts through patterns and games, rather than memorization of formulas and tables.
Parents have blamed Everyday Math for poor student performance in high school algebra and on state performance tests.
Hooksett officials have also cited issues with Everyday Math, saying in November the program doesn't have the "rigor" that helps students to meet the state's common core standards.
In Windham, a dozen district teachers tested enVision Math last year. The school board approved a permanent change this past spring, Superintendent Henry LaBranche said.
As the current school year began, district parents and teachers were encouraged to monitor the program's process online at www.pearsonsuccessnet.com, the program's accompanying website.
"I think this is a very exciting program," school board vice chairman Michelle Farrell said. "So far I've been hearing a lot of positive things."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 4
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112