Home » News » Public Safety
Escaped horse struck and killed on Route 16 in Wakefield
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 7:55 p.m. after the Blazer struck the horse, which escaped from its home on a side road and walked onto Route 16 near Wontons at 4774 White Mountain Highway - Route 16.
After being struck, the horse fell onto the Blazer, and the momentum carried the animal over the vehicle, according to Fire Lt. Steven Petsche.
"There was heavy front-end damage," Petsche said. "The windshield was damaged and the roof was peeled back."
While the passenger escaped injuries, Petsche said local ambulance crews transported the driver, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.
Petsche said traffic was backed up while both sides of Route 16 were closed for about 20 minutes until one lane was cleared. He said the road was reopened around 9:15 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing