Home » News » Public Safety
Escaped horse struck and killed on Route 16 in Wakefield
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 7:55 p.m. after the Blazer struck the horse, which escaped from its home on a side road and walked onto Route 16 near Wontons at 4774 White Mountain Highway - Route 16.
After being struck, the horse fell onto the Blazer, and the momentum carried the animal over the vehicle, according to Fire Lt. Steven Petsche.
"There was heavy front-end damage," Petsche said. "The windshield was damaged and the roof was peeled back."
While the passenger escaped injuries, Petsche said local ambulance crews transported the driver, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.
Petsche said traffic was backed up while both sides of Route 16 were closed for about 20 minutes until one lane was cleared. He said the road was reopened around 9:15 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Claremont homeless man found dead - 0
- Woodshed restaurant fire investigation continues - 0
- Lincoln officer, Woodstock firefighters credited with saving homeowner's life - 0
- Rollover backs up traffic on Everett Turnpike - 0
- Fire destroys Keene house, no one injured, but pets missing - 0
- Arbitrator finds Manchester had 'just cause' to fire Coco - 16
- New Hampshire's homeless remembered in Laconia vigil - 0
- Keene fire destroys house, no injuries reported - 0
- State agrees to delete toll booth photos - 5
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 1
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072