Home » News » Public Safety
Escaped horse struck and killed on Route 16 in Wakefield
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 7:55 p.m. after the Blazer struck the horse, which escaped from its home on a side road and walked onto Route 16 near Wontons at 4774 White Mountain Highway - Route 16.
After being struck, the horse fell onto the Blazer, and the momentum carried the animal over the vehicle, according to Fire Lt. Steven Petsche.
"There was heavy front-end damage," Petsche said. "The windshield was damaged and the roof was peeled back."
While the passenger escaped injuries, Petsche said local ambulance crews transported the driver, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.
Petsche said traffic was backed up while both sides of Route 16 were closed for about 20 minutes until one lane was cleared. He said the road was reopened around 9:15 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 125
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 15
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- House proposes special session to decide Medicaid expansion - 3
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 11
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 1
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?