Home » News » Public Safety
Escaped horse struck and killed on Route 16 in Wakefield
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 7:55 p.m. after the Blazer struck the horse, which escaped from its home on a side road and walked onto Route 16 near Wontons at 4774 White Mountain Highway - Route 16.
After being struck, the horse fell onto the Blazer, and the momentum carried the animal over the vehicle, according to Fire Lt. Steven Petsche.
"There was heavy front-end damage," Petsche said. "The windshield was damaged and the roof was peeled back."
While the passenger escaped injuries, Petsche said local ambulance crews transported the driver, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.
Petsche said traffic was backed up while both sides of Route 16 were closed for about 20 minutes until one lane was cleared. He said the road was reopened around 9:15 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS device locates stolen truck in Merrimack - 0
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m