Home » News » Public Safety
Escaped horse struck and killed on Route 16 in Wakefield
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 7:55 p.m. after the Blazer struck the horse, which escaped from its home on a side road and walked onto Route 16 near Wontons at 4774 White Mountain Highway - Route 16.
After being struck, the horse fell onto the Blazer, and the momentum carried the animal over the vehicle, according to Fire Lt. Steven Petsche.
"There was heavy front-end damage," Petsche said. "The windshield was damaged and the roof was peeled back."
While the passenger escaped injuries, Petsche said local ambulance crews transported the driver, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro.
Petsche said traffic was backed up while both sides of Route 16 were closed for about 20 minutes until one lane was cleared. He said the road was reopened around 9:15 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax