Home » News » Public Safety
UNH police chief gives tips on surviving campus shooting
It was a point that he hammered home Wednesday afternoon during a presentation to faculty and staff on surviving an active shooter event on campus.
More than 100 people attended, and a second session has been scheduled for March 19 from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Dean talked about the "outs," namely, getting out, hiding out or "taking out."
With a campus-wide ban on weapons, including firearms and pepper spray, some staff questioned how they should fight back.
The idea of "taking someone out" is about a mind-set of believing it is OK to attack, whether with a book or backpack or as a group, if the situation were to arise, Dean said.
Dean said, "You have to find a way to protect yourself and do what you can to survive."
Not everyone was pleased with the response.
Professor Jimmy Raeder told Dean he found the information contradictory.
"You can't hide out and take out at the same time," Raeder said. "What are we supposed to do?" He asked Dean to define "whatever it takes."
Dean said that was individual.
Other staff felt the presentation gave them important things to think about, including creating plans for each office and department in the event of an emergency.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Bruins shut out Wings
High School Volleyball results
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing