Home » News » Public Safety
UNH police chief gives tips on surviving campus shooting
It was a point that he hammered home Wednesday afternoon during a presentation to faculty and staff on surviving an active shooter event on campus.
More than 100 people attended, and a second session has been scheduled for March 19 from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Dean talked about the "outs," namely, getting out, hiding out or "taking out."
With a campus-wide ban on weapons, including firearms and pepper spray, some staff questioned how they should fight back.
The idea of "taking someone out" is about a mind-set of believing it is OK to attack, whether with a book or backpack or as a group, if the situation were to arise, Dean said.
Dean said, "You have to find a way to protect yourself and do what you can to survive."
Not everyone was pleased with the response.
Professor Jimmy Raeder told Dean he found the information contradictory.
"You can't hide out and take out at the same time," Raeder said. "What are we supposed to do?" He asked Dean to define "whatever it takes."
Dean said that was individual.
Other staff felt the presentation gave them important things to think about, including creating plans for each office and department in the event of an emergency.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- 2 motorcycle riders hurt in Laconia collision - 0
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH