Home » News » Public Safety
UNH police chief gives tips on surviving campus shooting
It was a point that he hammered home Wednesday afternoon during a presentation to faculty and staff on surviving an active shooter event on campus.
More than 100 people attended, and a second session has been scheduled for March 19 from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Dean talked about the "outs," namely, getting out, hiding out or "taking out."
With a campus-wide ban on weapons, including firearms and pepper spray, some staff questioned how they should fight back.
The idea of "taking someone out" is about a mind-set of believing it is OK to attack, whether with a book or backpack or as a group, if the situation were to arise, Dean said.
Dean said, "You have to find a way to protect yourself and do what you can to survive."
Not everyone was pleased with the response.
Professor Jimmy Raeder told Dean he found the information contradictory.
"You can't hide out and take out at the same time," Raeder said. "What are we supposed to do?" He asked Dean to define "whatever it takes."
Dean said that was individual.
Other staff felt the presentation gave them important things to think about, including creating plans for each office and department in the event of an emergency.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 10
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 1
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer