Home » News » Public Safety
UNH police chief gives tips on surviving campus shooting
It was a point that he hammered home Wednesday afternoon during a presentation to faculty and staff on surviving an active shooter event on campus.
More than 100 people attended, and a second session has been scheduled for March 19 from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Dean talked about the "outs," namely, getting out, hiding out or "taking out."
With a campus-wide ban on weapons, including firearms and pepper spray, some staff questioned how they should fight back.
The idea of "taking someone out" is about a mind-set of believing it is OK to attack, whether with a book or backpack or as a group, if the situation were to arise, Dean said.
Dean said, "You have to find a way to protect yourself and do what you can to survive."
Not everyone was pleased with the response.
Professor Jimmy Raeder told Dean he found the information contradictory.
"You can't hide out and take out at the same time," Raeder said. "What are we supposed to do?" He asked Dean to define "whatever it takes."
Dean said that was individual.
Other staff felt the presentation gave them important things to think about, including creating plans for each office and department in the event of an emergency.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 6
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four