Home » Opinion » Editorials
Campbell's tax hike: Mishandling the road toll
Raising the state's gas tax is never popular, which is why New Hampshire's tax is the lowest in New England. It was last increased in June of 1991 - three months before Seattle grunge band Nirvana released its breakthrough album, "Nevermind." Next year Nirvana will be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
A year ago, state transportation officials told legislators that the 10-year Highway Fund was $1.3 billion short of the money needed to complete every project. Campbell's bill would raise about $1 billion. But is everything in the 10-year plan essential? (It includes a commuter park-and-ride lot, for instance.) And does the bill raise this money in a responsible way?
Such a big economic jolt as Campbell proposes is never good; it is less desirable in a sputtering economy like this one. Campbell might have made more headway had he proposed a very small increase over four years, targeted to essential ?projects. Instead, he went for the whole $1 billion in three years, raising concerns that the money will not be well spent.
A small gas-tax hike might have sailed through the Legislature. Now Campbell faces a fight that might have been avoided with better planning.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice - 8
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Prizes & playoffs: Well done, UNH - 1
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 13
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
- LGC subsidiary accused of violating its own bylaws - 0
- Turkey Bowl brawl: Central players suspended, no discipline for Trinity team - 5
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice