Home » Opinion » Editorials
Campbell's tax hike: Mishandling the road toll
Raising the state's gas tax is never popular, which is why New Hampshire's tax is the lowest in New England. It was last increased in June of 1991 - three months before Seattle grunge band Nirvana released its breakthrough album, "Nevermind." Next year Nirvana will be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
A year ago, state transportation officials told legislators that the 10-year Highway Fund was $1.3 billion short of the money needed to complete every project. Campbell's bill would raise about $1 billion. But is everything in the 10-year plan essential? (It includes a commuter park-and-ride lot, for instance.) And does the bill raise this money in a responsible way?
Such a big economic jolt as Campbell proposes is never good; it is less desirable in a sputtering economy like this one. Campbell might have made more headway had he proposed a very small increase over four years, targeted to essential ?projects. Instead, he went for the whole $1 billion in three years, raising concerns that the money will not be well spent.
A small gas-tax hike might have sailed through the Legislature. Now Campbell faces a fight that might have been avoided with better planning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene State College is holding several events next week to mark World AIDS Day - 0
- Report offers Derry 5 choices for grades pre-K to 8 - 0
- Keene State to lead national initiative on economic inequality - 0
- Manchester schools cut classes short for Wednesday due to weather - 2
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Enrollments declining in Hudson, but school budget increases still expected - 0
- New NHIA president painting a picture of expansion - 0
- Former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be president of Franklin Pierce College - 3
- Students prepare to set sail at Tri-City Christian Academy - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Pat Buchanan: What to make of Ferguson?