Home » Opinion » Editorials
Campbell's tax hike: Mishandling the road toll
Raising the state's gas tax is never popular, which is why New Hampshire's tax is the lowest in New England. It was last increased in June of 1991 - three months before Seattle grunge band Nirvana released its breakthrough album, "Nevermind." Next year Nirvana will be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
A year ago, state transportation officials told legislators that the 10-year Highway Fund was $1.3 billion short of the money needed to complete every project. Campbell's bill would raise about $1 billion. But is everything in the 10-year plan essential? (It includes a commuter park-and-ride lot, for instance.) And does the bill raise this money in a responsible way?
Such a big economic jolt as Campbell proposes is never good; it is less desirable in a sputtering economy like this one. Campbell might have made more headway had he proposed a very small increase over four years, targeted to essential ?projects. Instead, he went for the whole $1 billion in three years, raising concerns that the money will not be well spent.
A small gas-tax hike might have sailed through the Legislature. Now Campbell faces a fight that might have been avoided with better planning.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing Florida dog found in Salem, how it made the trip remains mystery - 1
- Giving thanks for her wonderful dogs - even the difficult ones - 1
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- One dog tale that had tongues wagging - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Automatic spaying, neutering of mixed-breed dogs has a downside - 0
- Woman sues after her dogs kill neighbor's pet beagle - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Breed's bad reputation skews the truth about pitbulls - 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say man swung ax at ex - 0
- Celtics dominate Orlando - 0
- Bruins hold on in Minnesota, beat Wild in OT - 0
- Andreoff hat trick paces Monarchs - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 0
- More theft-related charges for Raymond woman - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
- Thursday meeting to address Windham water project concerns - 0
- Derry takes steps to improve rundown buildings - 0
Police arrest pair after bullets fly
Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week
Charles M. Arlinghaus: Read these books, OK?
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose