Bedford avenges Goffstown loss
The Bulldogs came out flying and didn't let up as they downed Goffstown 5-1 in a matchup of Division II playoff-bound teams at Sullivan Arena.
The Grizzlies handed Bedford its first loss of the season back in December. The Bulldogs made sure that didn't happen again with two goals from Christopher Viola and one from Cullen Willey over the opening 4:10 to take a commanding lead the Grizzlies couldn't rebound from.
"We knew when we got here we wanted to play well," Bedford coach Marty Myers said. "The kids came out absolutely on fire. They were mentally and physically ready to win."
Bedford improves to 11-3-2 with the win and will wrap up the regular season with a home-and-home series against undefeated Merrimack today and Saturday. The game today is at West Side Arena in Manchester and the game on Saturday is at Sullivan Arena.
The Grizzlies are now 10-7.
Viola finished with a hat trick and linemate Christopher O'Hara assisted on all three Bulldog goals in the first period.
"Our top line of O'Hara, Viola and (Kurt) Mitchell, they were on fire tonight," Myers said. "And we got some help from a couple other lines."
Tyler Grinley scored the lone goal of the game for Goffstown, which made it 4-1 in the second period.
Bedford got a goal from Kurt Mitchell in the second and Viola rounded out his hat trick in the third, during which Bedford killed off a crucial two-man advantage for the Grizzlies.
Stevan Tempesta was solid in net for the Bulldogs, while Chase Gagne and Ben Genest split time between the pipes for Goffstown.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan