action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Amber Blackman

Amber Blackman

Dec 4, 2014

Fugitive of the Week Jonathan Benedict


Jonathan E. Benedict

Oct 30, 2014

Darrell Cook

Darrell W. Cook

Oct 2, 2014

Michael Polchies


Michael Polchies

Sep 25, 2014

Home » News » Crime

February 22. 2013 7:09PM

Armed standoff in Claremont ends peacefully

CLAREMONT – An armed standoff with a man whose father was shot in a police confrontation nearly 5 years go ended peacefully Friday afternoon.

Anthony Jarvis, 43, of 10 Provence Avenue is currently being held on a parole detainer at the Sullivan County House of Corrections in in Unity.

Police responded to Jarvis's home at 11:59 a.m. on Friday to assist the New Hampshire Department of Corrections Probation and Parole Department with a Parole Search, Claremont Police Chief Alexander Scott said in a press release Friday evening.

During the search, Jarvis fled into the home and locked the door behind himself.

Inside he made threatening statements about “doing violence to himself with a firearm,” Scott wrote. “Based on those statements, officers retreated, established a protective perimeter around the house and called for additional officers to respond to the scene.”

State police, the Sullivan County's Sheriff's Department and additional city police responded to assist.

Neighboring homes were evacuated for safety and a command post was established.

Additionally the State Police Special Weapons and Tactics Team was placed on standby.
Officers on scene were able to make cell phone contact with Jarvis through a family member.

Around 3 p.m. Jarvis agreed to come out of the house peacefully and did so following specific instruction from police.

He was taken into custody without incident.

Jarvis is the son of Anthony Jarvis Sr. who was fatally shot in a confrontation with police in Charlestown in July of 2008 after a state trooper had been injured in a shooting, Scott wrote.

According to the New Hampshire Department of Justice website the state trooper who shot Jarvis fatally shot him after Jarvis shot him in the upper right thigh and then when he was on the floor attempting to find cover Jarvis shot at him again hitting him in the finger and right leg.

In August 2008 the Attorney General's office said it was a justifiable use of deadly force.

Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
  • KSC students
  • 37%
  • KSC administration
  • 2%
  • Police
  • 6%
  • Visitors from out of town
  • 18%
  • A combination of any/all of the above
  • 37%
  • Total Votes: 2483

 New Hampshire Business Directory



 New Hampshire Events Calendar


Upcoming Events