Home » News » Public Safety
"Green" cleanser cause of blaze that destroyed Somersworth mobile home
Fire Lt. Kenneth Vincent said with the increase in people using "green" cleaning products, the number of chemical combustion fires is on the rise. He said there have been three fires over the past seven years in Somersworth caused by citrus or organic cleaners.
Thursday night's fire was reported at 11:38 pm. at 5 Short St. When firefighters arrived, Anthony Morse, his wife, son and a son's friend were all outside the home.
According to Vincent, Morse heard a "snapping" sound and saw flames coming from under the sink. He grabbed a shovel, went outside to get some snow and tried to put out the blaze while his son call 911.
He was unable to put out the fire and when firefighters arrived, the 12-by-70-foot mobile home was in flames.
Vincent said investigators believe the fire is accidental and started when a container of a citrus cleaner, stored underneath the sink, fell over. The cause may be carried as undetermined, however, because investigators may be unable to identify the other chemical that mixed with the citrus cleaner and caused the fire.
He estimated damage at $50,000 for the mobile home which was totaled.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pedestrian struck in Keene - 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four