Home » News » Public Safety
"Green" cleanser cause of blaze that destroyed Somersworth mobile home
Fire Lt. Kenneth Vincent said with the increase in people using "green" cleaning products, the number of chemical combustion fires is on the rise. He said there have been three fires over the past seven years in Somersworth caused by citrus or organic cleaners.
Thursday night's fire was reported at 11:38 pm. at 5 Short St. When firefighters arrived, Anthony Morse, his wife, son and a son's friend were all outside the home.
According to Vincent, Morse heard a "snapping" sound and saw flames coming from under the sink. He grabbed a shovel, went outside to get some snow and tried to put out the blaze while his son call 911.
He was unable to put out the fire and when firefighters arrived, the 12-by-70-foot mobile home was in flames.
Vincent said investigators believe the fire is accidental and started when a container of a citrus cleaner, stored underneath the sink, fell over. The cause may be carried as undetermined, however, because investigators may be unable to identify the other chemical that mixed with the citrus cleaner and caused the fire.
He estimated damage at $50,000 for the mobile home which was totaled.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 1
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Attorney claims illegal phone seizure following Christmas Eve accident that killed Brookline mom
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua