Home » News » Public Safety
Derry councilor describes close call at home
"Two Sundays ago, I was coming back from Mass at St. Thomas at six o'clock and when I got home I heard a (beeping sound) and I asked, 'What is that?'" Katsakiores said. "I had a daughter that was there and she said, 'Mom, this thing is starting to ring and it won't stop.'"
Katsakiores called the fire department and told them she had a problem and her carbon monoxide detector would not stop beeping. She was advised to get everyone out of the house and that the fire department would be there soon.
"They went through the house and metered everything, and said it was an exceptionally high amount of carbon monoxide in the house and asked if I had a fireplace or a wood stove," Katsakiores said.
She said she didn't have either, only a furnace. After opening all the windows and putting fans in the house, the carbon monoxide levels began to go down and the firefighters advised Katsakiores to call a furnace repair company.
About an hour later, the furnace company arrived and determined there was a crack in the furnace.
"The carbon monoxide, instead of going up the chimney, was coming into the home," Katsakiores said.
Katsakiores brought up her close call at a recent town council meeting because she said she wanted everyone to know how important it is to have a working carbon monoxide detector in the home.
"I've had one for years, and that is the first time it ever went off," she said. "It's important to have a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector in the home. I know it helped me and my family."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'