Home » Opinion » Editorials
Shotgun Joe's advice: Don't take it
This week, Biden shared advice he gave to his wife. "I said, 'Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house. You don't need an AR-15 - it's harder to aim, it's harder to use, and in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun! Buy a shotgun!"
The man put in charge of the Obama administration's gun-control initiative recommends firing two warning blasts from a double-barreled shotgun. What if the intruder is not scared away? You'd better be quick at reloading. Also, how is public safety improved by encouraging people to fire shotguns off the balcony instead of taking aim (whether firing or not) directly at intruders?
The worst part of this advice, though, is that yet again the administration ignores the reason we have a Second Amendment. It is not for sport or self-defense. Those are excellent uses for weapons kept legally under the Second Amendment. But the amendment exists because weapons are "necessary to the security of a free state." Funny how the administration never brings that up.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- City papers: A flawed right-to-know policy - 3
- Revenue raiser: An economic recovery, not a casino, is what's needed - 6
- Secret arrests? Not if we can help it - 6
- Process and law: Foster's questionable circumvention - 3
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 1
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 24
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 1
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 11
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vote to cut Derry police overtime budget defeated - 0
- Haverhill American Legion post accused of allowing gambling - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: GOP hawks, doves are not helping their party right now - 0
- John Stossel: Privacy, please - 0
- Manchester officer cleared of assault, resigns - 0
- Ex-Derry public works employee intends to admit to $12k theft - 0
- Group's efforts continue toward school auditorium - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires - 0
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’
No charges in Nashua 'Duck-gate'
Rep. Kuster talks women's economic issues
George Will: Our adolescent President