Missing German shepherd dog found in Londonderry
Max, a rescued German shepherd, has been missing in Londonderry since late January. Local animal lovers are hoping to bring him home before this weekend's snowstorm hits. (COURTESY)
Friends, strangers search for lost dog in Londonderry
Patricia Jacobsen, one of several volunteers whose been working to capture the wayward pup that escaped from a car parked at the Exit 5 bus terminal on Jan. 27, said Max was captured in a humane trap near the Kinder Care daycare center shortly after 10 p.m. Friday evening.
The rescued dog, adopted from a Vermont animal rescue and brought to the Granite State just hours before his disappearance last month, was rushed to a Manchester veterinary clinic immediately after being captured.
Jacobsen said Max is "a bit thin and has a few sores" but is in remarkably great shape considering his ordeal.
An anonymous benefactor paid for Max's emergency veterinary care and the canine, typically shy around strangers, was reportedly greeting hospital staff with kisses and a wagging tail.
Shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday morning, Max had been released from the hospital and was safety home with his adoptive mom, Elizabeth, in Bedford.
"This is certainly the happy ending we've all been hoping for," Jacobsen said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wounded during Gilford chicken coop raid, bear is euthanized - 3
- Epping dump cats left on their own - 46
- This Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Animal rights group finds butterfly release at kindness rally kind of cruel - 10
- Bald eagle family takes up residence in Manchester - 4
- Auto dealership employees give stray parakeet new lease on life - 0
- Big Cat Coffees website accepts NH Humane Society donations - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Dogs can be taught not to pull on leash - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chester police investigating possible home invasion - 0
- Intruder, a burglar, and attempted break-in keep Manchester police busy - 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013
- Should NH outlaw puppy mills?
- Total Votes: 37