Home » News » Public Safety
Icy roads blamed for 5-vehicle crash on Franconia Notch Parkway
Sgt. Jeff Meier of Lincoln police said the chain-reaction accident happened in the Basin Hill area on the southbound side of the parkway shortly after 3 p.m. It closed the southbound roadway for about an hour, leaving traffic backed up for miles.
"It was close to white-out conditions," Meier said. "The weather had turned and the roads had glazed over."
The first car spun out and struck the guardrails a couple times, Meier said. Drivers behind it tried to brake to avoid the car, but a pickup truck struck a Jeep and another car, sending the car into the guardrail.
Just as those four vehicles were about stopped, Meier said, a Toyota Tundra towing a snowmobile trailer came upon the scene and struck the pickup truck.
The roadway was so blocked by the crash that emergency vehicles had to travel northbound in the southbound lane to reach the scene, he said. An ambulance that was taking a patient from Cannon Mountain to the hospital was stuck in the traffic and the patient had to be transferred to a second ambulance that came in from the other direction.
Meier said that area is notorious for icing up in bad weather. "Franconia Notch Parkway has its own weather anyway," he said. "Once it glazes over, it really turns into almost like a ping-pong match up there. Everybody seems to get bounced around."
He said he's seen it so bad that the state trucks have to back up the parkway to sand the roads.
Meier said four of the five vehicles involved in the crash were driven by out-of-state drivers: three from Massachusetts and one from Connecticut.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 150
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off