Home » News » Public Safety
Police say man, 74, killed in Durham crash
Durham Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley said Saturday a man, 74, was pronounced dead at scene of the accident, near the Route 4 state police weigh station. His name was not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Kelley said the deceased driver was driving a 2000 Buick heading west on Route 4 at 8:57 a.m. Saturday when it was hit, almost head-on, by a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, operated by a 22 year old male, heading east. The driver was transported by DHART helicopter to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Mass., with what Kelley termed "serious" injuries. His condition was not known Saturday afternoon. A passenger in the Sebring, also a 22 year old male, was taken by Durham ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital in stable condition.
Kelley said a stretch of Route 4 near the weigh station was closed for approximately five hours Saturday while accident reconstruction teams investigated the incident. He said early indications are the driver of the Sebring was attempting a passing maneuver when he hit the Buick, driver's side door to driver's side door.
He said Saturday afternoon the investigation was still in a preliminary stage, and could not comment on whether speed or alcohol were factors. He would not comment on the type of the vehicle the Sebring driver was allegedly trying to pass, saying the investigation was ongoing.
Durham fire personnel used 'JAWS of Life' equipment to extricate at least one victim from the Sebring. State police along with members of the Lee and Durham police departments assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches