Home » News » Public Safety
Police say man, 74, killed in Durham crash
Durham Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley said Saturday a man, 74, was pronounced dead at scene of the accident, near the Route 4 state police weigh station. His name was not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Kelley said the deceased driver was driving a 2000 Buick heading west on Route 4 at 8:57 a.m. Saturday when it was hit, almost head-on, by a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, operated by a 22 year old male, heading east. The driver was transported by DHART helicopter to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Mass., with what Kelley termed "serious" injuries. His condition was not known Saturday afternoon. A passenger in the Sebring, also a 22 year old male, was taken by Durham ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital in stable condition.
Kelley said a stretch of Route 4 near the weigh station was closed for approximately five hours Saturday while accident reconstruction teams investigated the incident. He said early indications are the driver of the Sebring was attempting a passing maneuver when he hit the Buick, driver's side door to driver's side door.
He said Saturday afternoon the investigation was still in a preliminary stage, and could not comment on whether speed or alcohol were factors. He would not comment on the type of the vehicle the Sebring driver was allegedly trying to pass, saying the investigation was ongoing.
Durham fire personnel used 'JAWS of Life' equipment to extricate at least one victim from the Sebring. State police along with members of the Lee and Durham police departments assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
- Stewart probe goes on - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate