Home » News » Public Safety
Police say man, 74, killed in Durham crash
Durham Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley said Saturday a man, 74, was pronounced dead at scene of the accident, near the Route 4 state police weigh station. His name was not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Kelley said the deceased driver was driving a 2000 Buick heading west on Route 4 at 8:57 a.m. Saturday when it was hit, almost head-on, by a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, operated by a 22 year old male, heading east. The driver was transported by DHART helicopter to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Mass., with what Kelley termed "serious" injuries. His condition was not known Saturday afternoon. A passenger in the Sebring, also a 22 year old male, was taken by Durham ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital in stable condition.
Kelley said a stretch of Route 4 near the weigh station was closed for approximately five hours Saturday while accident reconstruction teams investigated the incident. He said early indications are the driver of the Sebring was attempting a passing maneuver when he hit the Buick, driver's side door to driver's side door.
He said Saturday afternoon the investigation was still in a preliminary stage, and could not comment on whether speed or alcohol were factors. He would not comment on the type of the vehicle the Sebring driver was allegedly trying to pass, saying the investigation was ongoing.
Durham fire personnel used 'JAWS of Life' equipment to extricate at least one victim from the Sebring. State police along with members of the Lee and Durham police departments assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 0
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
- Concrete chunk falls onto sidewalk from Elm Street building in Manchester - 0
- Traffic, parking complaints related to Hollis farm stand - 0
- Crews still working on replacing poles after accident - 0
- Woman, 56, struck by car in Laconia accident - 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 2
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 19
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 4
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 2
Trump fired up over NH mailer