Home » News » Public Safety
Police say man, 74, killed in Durham crash
Durham Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley said Saturday a man, 74, was pronounced dead at scene of the accident, near the Route 4 state police weigh station. His name was not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Kelley said the deceased driver was driving a 2000 Buick heading west on Route 4 at 8:57 a.m. Saturday when it was hit, almost head-on, by a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, operated by a 22 year old male, heading east. The driver was transported by DHART helicopter to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Mass., with what Kelley termed "serious" injuries. His condition was not known Saturday afternoon. A passenger in the Sebring, also a 22 year old male, was taken by Durham ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital in stable condition.
Kelley said a stretch of Route 4 near the weigh station was closed for approximately five hours Saturday while accident reconstruction teams investigated the incident. He said early indications are the driver of the Sebring was attempting a passing maneuver when he hit the Buick, driver's side door to driver's side door.
He said Saturday afternoon the investigation was still in a preliminary stage, and could not comment on whether speed or alcohol were factors. He would not comment on the type of the vehicle the Sebring driver was allegedly trying to pass, saying the investigation was ongoing.
Durham fire personnel used 'JAWS of Life' equipment to extricate at least one victim from the Sebring. State police along with members of the Lee and Durham police departments assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test