Home » News » Public Safety
Police say man, 74, killed in Durham crash
Durham Deputy Police Chief Rene Kelley said Saturday a man, 74, was pronounced dead at scene of the accident, near the Route 4 state police weigh station. His name was not being released, pending notification of next of kin.
Kelley said the deceased driver was driving a 2000 Buick heading west on Route 4 at 8:57 a.m. Saturday when it was hit, almost head-on, by a 2004 Chrysler Sebring, operated by a 22 year old male, heading east. The driver was transported by DHART helicopter to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Mass., with what Kelley termed "serious" injuries. His condition was not known Saturday afternoon. A passenger in the Sebring, also a 22 year old male, was taken by Durham ambulance to Portsmouth Regional Hospital in stable condition.
Kelley said a stretch of Route 4 near the weigh station was closed for approximately five hours Saturday while accident reconstruction teams investigated the incident. He said early indications are the driver of the Sebring was attempting a passing maneuver when he hit the Buick, driver's side door to driver's side door.
He said Saturday afternoon the investigation was still in a preliminary stage, and could not comment on whether speed or alcohol were factors. He would not comment on the type of the vehicle the Sebring driver was allegedly trying to pass, saying the investigation was ongoing.
Durham fire personnel used 'JAWS of Life' equipment to extricate at least one victim from the Sebring. State police along with members of the Lee and Durham police departments assisted at the scene.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Afterschool activities canceled in Jaffrey - 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 10
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 13
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013