Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox drop exhibition opener
Lackey walked Ben Zobrist and gave up a single to Desmond Jennings before striking Matt Joyce with a pitch to load the bases. After striking out Jack Cust, Ryan Roberts hit a long sacrifice fly to right field to plate Zobrist.
Lackey threw 20 pitches in his brief stint, 10 for strikes.
After the game, Lackey reported that he pitched without some pain for the first time in years.
Boston was shut out by Rays pitching until the eighth when Jose Iglesias hit a two-run home run. The blast scored Jeremy Hazelbaker who had drawn an earlier base on balls.
The Red Sox tallied their final run in the ninth. Hazelbaker hit a one-out double and scored on a two-out single by Xander Bogaerts.
Tampa Bay went ahead 2-0 in the third when Jennings doubled, stole third and scored on Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia's overthrow into left field.
The Rays completed their scoring in the eighth when Red Sox reliever Oscar Villareal allowed a two-run homer to Lesliie Anderson.
The Red Sox meet the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins vs. Rangers: Here we go again - 0
- Bruins win Game 7 in overtime in epic comeback - 2
- Bruins’ scoring woes continue; series finale tonight - 0
- Goalie Reimer brilliant against Bruins as Leafs force Game 6 - 0
- Krejci 'tricks' Toronto, Bruins one win from advancing - 0
- Bruins beat Toronto for series lead - 0
- Bruins strong out of the gate, beat Toronto to open playoffs - 0
- History means nothing in Bruins-Leafs series - 0
- Senators drop Bruins - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 0
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 1
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 2
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 0
- Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs - 0
- Two had a NH history before brutal Bedford attack - 0
- Derry marks a soldier's death - 0
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone
Goffstown holds off on school borrowing
For the people: A century of the NH primary
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name