Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox drop exhibition opener
Lackey walked Ben Zobrist and gave up a single to Desmond Jennings before striking Matt Joyce with a pitch to load the bases. After striking out Jack Cust, Ryan Roberts hit a long sacrifice fly to right field to plate Zobrist.
Lackey threw 20 pitches in his brief stint, 10 for strikes.
After the game, Lackey reported that he pitched without some pain for the first time in years.
Boston was shut out by Rays pitching until the eighth when Jose Iglesias hit a two-run home run. The blast scored Jeremy Hazelbaker who had drawn an earlier base on balls.
The Red Sox tallied their final run in the ninth. Hazelbaker hit a one-out double and scored on a two-out single by Xander Bogaerts.
Tampa Bay went ahead 2-0 in the third when Jennings doubled, stole third and scored on Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia's overthrow into left field.
The Rays completed their scoring in the eighth when Red Sox reliever Oscar Villareal allowed a two-run homer to Lesliie Anderson.
The Red Sox meet the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sox edge Twins in 10, 3-2 - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: Bard tough to watch, tough to root against - 0
- Red Sox catch Rays in ninth - 0
- Drew, Red Sox pound Rays - 0
- Moore survives Ortiz HR, hurls Rays past Red Sox - 0
- Blue Jays homers hammer Red Sox - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: This is Lester's team now - 0
- Red Sox can't get any relief as Lind's homer wins it for Jays - 0
- Lester dominates Jays, tossing one-hitter - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 0
- Gate City Musings: Mayor just keeps on spending - 0
- Nashua set to begin budget review - 0
- Manchester 'homeless meter' program seeks to deter panhandling - 0
Volunteer drivers needed in Windham
North Country ATV trail opening on schedule
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?