Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox drop exhibition opener
Lackey walked Ben Zobrist and gave up a single to Desmond Jennings before striking Matt Joyce with a pitch to load the bases. After striking out Jack Cust, Ryan Roberts hit a long sacrifice fly to right field to plate Zobrist.
Lackey threw 20 pitches in his brief stint, 10 for strikes.
After the game, Lackey reported that he pitched without some pain for the first time in years.
Boston was shut out by Rays pitching until the eighth when Jose Iglesias hit a two-run home run. The blast scored Jeremy Hazelbaker who had drawn an earlier base on balls.
The Red Sox tallied their final run in the ninth. Hazelbaker hit a one-out double and scored on a two-out single by Xander Bogaerts.
Tampa Bay went ahead 2-0 in the third when Jennings doubled, stole third and scored on Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia's overthrow into left field.
The Rays completed their scoring in the eighth when Red Sox reliever Oscar Villareal allowed a two-run homer to Lesliie Anderson.
The Red Sox meet the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 5
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options