Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Red Sox drop exhibition opener
Lackey walked Ben Zobrist and gave up a single to Desmond Jennings before striking Matt Joyce with a pitch to load the bases. After striking out Jack Cust, Ryan Roberts hit a long sacrifice fly to right field to plate Zobrist.
Lackey threw 20 pitches in his brief stint, 10 for strikes.
After the game, Lackey reported that he pitched without some pain for the first time in years.
Boston was shut out by Rays pitching until the eighth when Jose Iglesias hit a two-run home run. The blast scored Jeremy Hazelbaker who had drawn an earlier base on balls.
The Red Sox tallied their final run in the ninth. Hazelbaker hit a one-out double and scored on a two-out single by Xander Bogaerts.
Tampa Bay went ahead 2-0 in the third when Jennings doubled, stole third and scored on Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia's overthrow into left field.
The Rays completed their scoring in the eighth when Red Sox reliever Oscar Villareal allowed a two-run homer to Lesliie Anderson.
The Red Sox meet the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fisher Cats score in 9th to win - 0
- Former NASCAR driver Trickle dead in apparent suicide - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 14, 2013 - 0
- Manchester's Gill Stadium nearing centenial rededication, still going strong - 0
- Red Sox lose to Rangers - 0
- Glenn, Nolan power Fisher Cats to win - 0
- All done: Monarchs elminated from AHL playoffs three games to one - 0
- NH College Roundup: Evans in Pats' rookie camp - 0
- Derryfield defeats Central girls in lacrosse - 0
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Manchester alderman urges review of police phone use - 13
- Updated: Man fatally shot on Manchester street; neighbors shocked - 3
- Nashua mayor to recommend Bennett for corporation counsel - 0
- Claremont group disputes incinerator plant's permit - 0
- Goffstown artisan gives new face to Wolfeboro tower - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Kiwanis and the kids - 0
- Town may have to fix grave error - 2
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack