Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Basketball: St. Anselm cruises past St. Mike's, leads NE-10
With the win, the Hawks stretched their overall record to 21-4 and their conference mark to 17-4. The Purple Knights are 5-16 in the league.
Nielsen and Santo each scored 13 points in just over 20 minutes of play.
St. Anselm starters Mike McCahey and Dino Mallios netted 12 points each.
St. Michael's Greg Grippo led all scorers in the game with 14 points.
The Hawks scored the game's initial six points but St. Michael's rallied to tie the game at 16-16 with 13:26 left in the first half. Roy Mabrey's layup and Mallios's three-pointer with four seconds left in the frame gave the hosts a 38-31 halftime advantage.
St. Anselm never trailed in the second half and led by as many as 21 on a Nielsen three-point field goal with 6:27 to play and again later on a McCahey jumper with 2:38 showing.
St. Anselm shot 43 percent from the field in the game while St. Michael's had trouble with the Hawks defense and converted just 20 of 51 two-point attempts. St. Michael's, however, did outrebound the hosts, 39-36.
St. Anselm closes its NE-10 regular season Tuesday when it hosts Stonehill.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up