Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Basketball: St. Anselm cruises past St. Mike's, leads NE-10
Saint Anselm's Dino Mallios gets around Saint Michael's Mike Thompson on Saturday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
Men's Hockey: UNH knots UVM
College Sports Roundup: Cardarelli leads SNHU cagers to victory
With the win, the Hawks stretched their overall record to 21-4 and their conference mark to 17-4. The Purple Knights are 5-16 in the league.
Nielsen and Santo each scored 13 points in just over 20 minutes of play.
St. Anselm starters Mike McCahey and Dino Mallios netted 12 points each.
St. Michael's Greg Grippo led all scorers in the game with 14 points.
The Hawks scored the game's initial six points but St. Michael's rallied to tie the game at 16-16 with 13:26 left in the first half. Roy Mabrey's layup and Mallios's three-pointer with four seconds left in the frame gave the hosts a 38-31 halftime advantage.
St. Anselm never trailed in the second half and led by as many as 21 on a Nielsen three-point field goal with 6:27 to play and again later on a McCahey jumper with 2:38 showing.
St. Anselm shot 43 percent from the field in the game while St. Michael's had trouble with the Hawks defense and converted just 20 of 51 two-point attempts. St. Michael's, however, did outrebound the hosts, 39-36.
St. Anselm closes its NE-10 regular season Tuesday when it hosts Stonehill.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Runners want to send message in 2014 Boston Marathon - 0
- Newbould, Varanka lead Granite Staters in Boston Marathon - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: NH's race within the race - 0
- Granite State pair back on track for Boston - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Would an Easter or Christmas road race work in Granite State? - 0
- It's a family affair at Manchester road race - 0
- Shamrock Shuffle set for Sunday - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Shamrock Shuffle runners ready to party - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: No way to win with a road race cancellation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Warwick Mills scores $94.3 million contract from Army for body armor - 0
- Senate OKs medical pot, with plenty of restrictions - 0
- Rangers win in overtime, stay alive for Game 5 - 0
- Hanefeld shoots 74 at Senior PGA - 0
- Bishop Libasci to ordain 2 at St. Joseph Cathedral - 0
- Price tag to restore chimney about $1m - 0
- Officials disallow Woodmont slide show - 0
- Officials question Nashua parking proposal - 0
- House bill lowers emissions cap to meet RGGI standards - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
State’s stand-your-ground law intact
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
Casino vote stirs emotions on both sides