Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Hockey: UNH knots UVM
UNH moves to 17-8-5 overall with a 12-7-4 mark in Hockey East. Vermont is now 10-15-5 overall, 7-11-5 HEA. The Wildcats take over sole possession of first place with 28 points in league play.
Trailing by a goal in the second period, New Hampshire tied the game at 1-1 with a power play tally at 8:53. Trevor van Riemsdyk fired a shot from the top of the point that hit a Vermont defender on its way into the net. Eric Knodel and Grayson Downing assisted on the goal.
Vermont took its 1-0 lead just 56 seconds into the second period. Jacob Fallon fired a puck from between the circles that beat DeSmith high, glove side. Chris McCarthy and Kyle Reynolds assisted.
In a fast-paced open third period, neither team was able to crack the scoreboard. The Wildcats had numerous chances including a Connor Hardowa shot that clanged the pipe just inside of the 11-minute mark, and a grade A bid by Austin Block just before time expired in regulation.
The Wildcats controlled play in overtime recording the only three shots on goal during the extra time.
DeSmith made double-digit saves in the second and third periods and moves to 16-6-5 on the season. UVM's Brody Hoffman stopped 21 shots and is now 10-15-5 on the season. Vermont held a 31-22 shot advantage in the game.
The Wildcats were 1-for-4 on the power play. UVM was 0-1 in the extra-man.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Concord proves it's the state's best - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans