Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Hockey: UNH knots UVM
Men's Basketball: St. Anselm cruises past St. Mike's, leads NE-10
UNH moves to 17-8-5 overall with a 12-7-4 mark in Hockey East. Vermont is now 10-15-5 overall, 7-11-5 HEA. The Wildcats take over sole possession of first place with 28 points in league play.
Trailing by a goal in the second period, New Hampshire tied the game at 1-1 with a power play tally at 8:53. Trevor van Riemsdyk fired a shot from the top of the point that hit a Vermont defender on its way into the net. Eric Knodel and Grayson Downing assisted on the goal.
Vermont took its 1-0 lead just 56 seconds into the second period. Jacob Fallon fired a puck from between the circles that beat DeSmith high, glove side. Chris McCarthy and Kyle Reynolds assisted.
In a fast-paced open third period, neither team was able to crack the scoreboard. The Wildcats had numerous chances including a Connor Hardowa shot that clanged the pipe just inside of the 11-minute mark, and a grade A bid by Austin Block just before time expired in regulation.
The Wildcats controlled play in overtime recording the only three shots on goal during the extra time.
DeSmith made double-digit saves in the second and third periods and moves to 16-6-5 on the season. UVM's Brody Hoffman stopped 21 shots and is now 10-15-5 on the season. Vermont held a 31-22 shot advantage in the game.
The Wildcats were 1-for-4 on the power play. UVM was 0-1 in the extra-man.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Competitors vie for heptathlon, decathlon titles - 0
- Rosters set for NH/Vt. lacrosse games - 0
- Sibling rivalries abound on track for decathlon, heptathlon - 0
- Coaches' All-Division girls' lacrosse teams - 0
- NH Boys' Lacrosse Coaches Association all-division teams - 0
- Former SNHU athletic director Chip Polak says he's Trinity's new AD - 2
- John Habib's High School Track: New England meet was Coe-Brown’s day in sun - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Unpredictable endings spice up NHIAA baseball, softball tournaments - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Moving experiences - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 14
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?