Home » Sports » College Sports
Men's Hockey: UNH knots UVM
UNH moves to 17-8-5 overall with a 12-7-4 mark in Hockey East. Vermont is now 10-15-5 overall, 7-11-5 HEA. The Wildcats take over sole possession of first place with 28 points in league play.
Trailing by a goal in the second period, New Hampshire tied the game at 1-1 with a power play tally at 8:53. Trevor van Riemsdyk fired a shot from the top of the point that hit a Vermont defender on its way into the net. Eric Knodel and Grayson Downing assisted on the goal.
Vermont took its 1-0 lead just 56 seconds into the second period. Jacob Fallon fired a puck from between the circles that beat DeSmith high, glove side. Chris McCarthy and Kyle Reynolds assisted.
In a fast-paced open third period, neither team was able to crack the scoreboard. The Wildcats had numerous chances including a Connor Hardowa shot that clanged the pipe just inside of the 11-minute mark, and a grade A bid by Austin Block just before time expired in regulation.
The Wildcats controlled play in overtime recording the only three shots on goal during the extra time.
DeSmith made double-digit saves in the second and third periods and moves to 16-6-5 on the season. UVM's Brody Hoffman stopped 21 shots and is now 10-15-5 on the season. Vermont held a 31-22 shot advantage in the game.
The Wildcats were 1-for-4 on the power play. UVM was 0-1 in the extra-man.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'